Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Technique Tuesday Cards

Better late than never, right? I thought I was going to be SO productive this afternoon and instead I took a nap with Maddie that lasted about three hours!! YIKES! As some of you know, she really hasn't been feeling her best and she was kinda cranky and would not go down for a nap without me so I HAD to do it--the sacrifices I make for her--it's just unbelievable. HA! I really should thank her and I'm going to miss these little cuddles with her when she's older and wants nothing to do with me :-)
This first card shows some embossing on velvet paper which was purchased from the SEI booth at CKC this past April. The butterfly was die-cut and embossed using the Cuttlebug. I really like how they've come out with dies and coordinating embossing folders--it really makes for some quick and easy card pieces that have a lot of pizazz. This project also features one of the new Backgrounders that I recently picked up and it is called Pretty Pattern--LOVE IT! For all of you locals, Scrapbook Friend'z carries Backgrounders so you can call and request particular ones and they'll order them for you. They will order it whenever they're putting in their next order so depending on when you call there may be a wait. I didn't mind as I TRY to support local businesses when I can, but if you need them in a hurry and they don't have an order going in you can always purchase online from Cornish Heritage Farms. They also carry the Elvis Presley line for those of you wanting to make velvet Elvis projects :-) and as far as I know, Friend'z will order any of the CHF products for you. Tell them I sent you so that they'll consider giving me a free stamp. JUST KIDDING!
This next card showcased bleaching as its technique focus and was a lot of fun to make. Now, I had a little too much bleach on my stamp when making this card but that's okay--it's not about perfection, it's about learning. Yes, that's what I tell myself to keep myself going. I think using bleach when crafting is genius because the whole place smells like bleach and then your unsuspecting partner thinks you're doing housework or laundry when in fact--you're making cards! Perfect, right?
Stamps: Happy Harmony (SAB, retired)
Paper: Barely Banana, Basic Black, Baroque Burgandy (retired)
Ribbon: Lemon Tart by Papertrey Ink

The Grid Technique was an easy technique to love and I think everyone is going to blow their next Archiver's coupon on a Scor-Pal. Speaking of Archiver's--is anyone up for a road trip?? This card is very similar to this card that I made last week for Beate's sketch challenge. I find that I am inspired by her work and layouts quite a bit as you will also see on the next card!

Paper: Blue Bayou, Kraft, Ginger Blossom DSP
Ink: River Rock
Accessories: Kraft Taffeta Ribbon, Scallop and Circle Punches, Scor-Pal
This card has a 4.5" square base


The Dahlia fold may seem a bit tedious, but with a little practice one finds that it can be a fun technique to have under one's belt. I think it's always helpful to have technique utilizing smaller pieces of paper because there are always scraps needing a good project if you ask me! This card using some papers from the East Coast Prep Collection and so the color scheme is pretty bright. Originally, I wanted to have everyone make this card, but I didn't have the same paper so I went in a different direction. This card was pretty much a CASE of this card designed by Beate Johns.
Stamps: Birthday Hugs and Wishes
Paper: Old Olive, Pumpkin Pie, Whisper White, East Coast Prep DSP, Whisper White
Accessories: Rhinestone brads, Pumpkin Pie Striped Grosgrain, 1 3/8" circle punch, paper-piercing tools

The final card can be seen HERE. I made this card a while back for a Virtual Stamp Night Challenge. Black Magic was a technique I had never heard of until recently and since it's easy to do, I figured people would enjoy learning about it. I always enjoy learning new ways to use Craft ink since I seldom use mine so that's another reason this technique grabbed my attention. If you've never tried this technique, it's very easy. First, stamp a bold image using Whisper White Craft Ink. Once it dries, outline the image using a white gel pen. Then, color the image in using colored pencils. See--it really is easy!

Whew! That's the rest of the class cards from yesterday. See you soon with today's challenge card :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Traveling Mama said...

Cute cards! Love both techniques!

Angie Tieman said...

Wow! Those are awesome cards!! I can't believe you got all of these made! You've definitely inspired me to try a few of these techniques, thanks!