Thursday, May 8, 2008

My Favorite Things: Animal Blocks

Since Kate has unmounted many of her rubber stamps, she has a surplus of wooden blocks. She can't throw them away and neither can I! Fortunately, she came up with a cute idea to put some of them to use. A few weeks ago, she brought some blocks over for Maddie that she had stamped on. I knew then that I wanted to make some for my niece, Kellie. Around that same time, my sister was talking about how Kellie needed an animal sounds book or something because she didn't know all of her animal sounds. I am always thinking in terms of stamp sets so as she was talking, all I kept thinking about was that I finally had a 'reason' to order Punny Farm! So, I ordered it with the intention of making Kellie a little animal sounds book and set of blocks. I've had the stamps now for about a month and hadn't made any progress on my GREAT IDEA (am I the only one who has this happen??) and then saw the guest designer challenge today for MFT and it was to make a card or project using an animal stamp. I figured I had no excuse not to get started! Here are some of the blocks that I made today while Maddie was napping (thank you, Maddie!). They were all stamped with Adirondack ink and colored with Copics. I don't know that these inks are safe for this type of project but I think both girls are past chewing on things constantly. I wanted to add the name of each animal on the block but I'm afraid my handwriting will mess it up so we'll see about that...I think I'll practice a little before I try adding the names.

6 comments:

JoLynn said...

Aw, these are so cute! Kellie will love them!

Krystal said...

I love these! I want to make them for every toddler I know! Only I still use my wooden blocks...

Carolyn King said...

FANTASTIC--I think this was so clever! Great job!

Anonymous said...

These are SO awesome, Karen!!!

LeAnne said...

What a great idea!! Fun!
LeAnne

Charlene Austin said...

Brilliant!! I haven't unmounted any stamps but I will have to keep my eye out for someone who did and steal their blocks. What a great gift idea. You should TOTALLY do this and sumbit to Papertrey for the "Best Baby Gift" GSS contest if you ordered the Baby set. Great job!!