Thursday, January 31, 2008

WT151: Design Staples

Do you ever have one of those moments when you've been working on a card for an hour or so and you JUST DON'T GET IT? Like, you just don't get why you can't tie it all together or you just don't get why in the world it's taking you so long to come up with something that looks relatively decent? Well, if you have then you know exactly what I've been going through this past hour. Today's Ways to Use It Challenge asked us to incorporate staples into our cards. We could use standard staples, design staples or Fastenators. Being the collector that I am, it should come as no surprise that I had these decorative staples on hand for approximately two years. Yes, you're right, I had never even opened them. Well, I had some materials left from the Open House the other night so I decided I'd use these turquoise and white staples with the Regal Rose and Certainly Celery scraps I had on my table. I wanted to play off of the dots on the staples so I chose to use this particular sentiment that had the row of dots along the bottom. I decided I still didn't have enough dots so I grabbed the set All in a Row and stamped rows of dots in Tempting Turquoise on Whisper White cardstock. Originally, those turquoise dots lined the bottom of my card base. I ended up scrapping it as the card base, but I cut out those dots I had worked so hard to stamp :-) The staples ended up throwing me for a loop because I just couldn't get them to look right. I tried them in the corners of the sentiment panel, corner of the card, on the ends of the ribbon that I originally had across the length of the card...it went on and on. Finally, I tried putting a staple around the ribbon and I ended up adding another one and the rest is history. Even though I didn't LOVE it, I liked it a lot better than anything else I had tried! I probably should have just stopped there, but I felt like my card base looked a little plain so I got my Dotted background stamp and added even MORE dots. I kinda regretted the decision, but decided to just leave it alone. After all, Maddie's nap isn't going to last forever! Oh, I must have jinxed myself--there she is now! Thanks for reading this far--have a Happy Thursday!

I'll post details on the materials used later this afternoon.

No comments: